“I really love to cook with wine…Sometimes I even put it in the food”
Alright everyone, a month hiatus has done the body good and now let’s get back to what makes this lovely world go round…FOOD! This next recipe is a staple in many fine dining locations but it is so easy and overlooked in many homes today. We are talking one of my favorite and underrated seafood dishes hands down. Mussels Scampi…Thats right America, Mussels! It’s quite easy to take a wrong turn following a recipe which may end in disaster. However, with garlic, butter and white wine, you can never go wrong!
Serving size: 2-3
- 1 1/2 pound raw Mussels (scrubbed and de-bearded)
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 4-5 cloves minced fresh Garlic
- 3/4 cup dry White wine
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
* Most importantly be sure that your mussels are very fresh and tightly closed when you buy them. If you do not have fresh mussels than make something else!
In a medium sautee pan, sautee the olive oil and garlic over medium-low heat (do not let garlic brown) after about 30 seconds melt your butter in the sautee.
Next, pour in white wine and mussels and raise heat to medium/high and steam mussels till shells open. (about 4-5 minutes) Place a pan cover slightly ajar over the mussles to help infuse the steamed white wine flavor.
Right before serving add a pinch of salt and fresh black pepper to the pan and toss mussels gently.
Pour mussels with all its remaining juices into a large serving bowl and garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
* Serve mussels scampi with some fresh bread because the sauce that remains is excellent for dipping!
and as always,
Buon Appetito America!